Displaying: 1 to 16 of 2915
"We want to ensure every Nevadan expresses their opinion and their fundamental right to vote."
- Cisco Aguilar, Candidate for Secretary of State, responds to the issue of election integrity, saying the more we talk about access, there’s a greater need that people understand the system. He says the narrative needs to change to say exactly how the system works and that the people’s engagement is important, because without participation, “we’re not going to be the state we want to be.” - Friday, August 5, 2022.
"We’ll be the official airline of the Wolf Pack for this coming year."
- Tim Sieber, Head - aha! Business Unit, says they’ll have a partnership with University of Reno, Nevada’s Wolf Pack. He says while the airline hasn’t been without challenges — noting rising fuel costs and effects of the pandemic — he says he thinks they made the right choice with coming to Reno-Tahoe. - Thursday, August 4, 2022.
"I think it’s an easy out by doing that instead of facing her."
- Mary Lau, President, CEO, Retail Association of Nevada, responds to Attorney General Aaron Ford’s statement on Nevada Newsmakers on not debating with Republican opponent Sigal Chattah after her comments that Ford “should be hanging from a (f*&king) crane.” She says that Chattah “is a very sharp lady” and “was pleased when they met her,” noting that Chattah’s comments were a mistake, and doesn’t translate into Nevada politics. - Wednesday, August 3, 2022.
"I'm not saying something that is a secret anymore. Beijing is in control."
- A.G. Burnett, Former Chairman, Nevada Gaming Control Board, says any increases in activity in the world's largest gaming hub will be dictated by the Chinese government, while noting a possible pent-up gambling itch with locked-out Macau patrons. He explains casinos in Macau, many owned by Nevada operators, will not bounce back as quickly from current covid restrictions and closures as Las Vegas resorts did after Gov. Steve Sisolak ended his March-to-June 2020 shutdown. - Tuesday, August 2, 2022.
"I think that ultimately this is a situation where the Republican party has to remind voters that the Democrats are the truly radical party on this issue."
- Rory McShane, CEO McShane LLC, discusses how the overturning of Roe v. Wade is changing the dynamics of this election cycle. - Friday, July 29, 2022.
"She wants to see me hanging from a f*&king crane."
- Aaron Ford, Attorney General, State of Nevada, responds to comments made about him by his Republican election opponent, Sigal Chattah. She wrote in a private text to a blogger last year that Ford “should be hanging from a (f*&king) crane. He’s like the leader of (H)amas — making tons of money while the People in Gaza are starving.” He says threatening to lynch someone, especially a black person, is racist and that any future debate between the two candidates for Nevada's "top cop" is not going to happen. - Thursday, July 28, 2022.
"We are what we eat, so it’s definitely about health and wellness."
- Karen Abowd, The Greenhouse Project, talks about the free workshops they offer at the Foothill Garden project, located at the Carson-Tahoe medical campus. She says they offer work-based learning for students at Carson High School, and now, adult education classes at the hospital. - Wednesday, July 27, 2022.
"This is the will of the people of Nevada."
- April Becker, Republican candidate for CD 3, explains that Nevada's law that allows for abortions cannot be overturned by elected officials, and can only be changed by a vote of the people. She agrees with Roe v. Wade being overturned, and says if she’s elected, she would vote against a federal abortion law on the basis that it would be unconstitutional because of the Supreme Court's recent ruling striking down the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. - Tuesday, July 26, 2022.
"Water is like gold."
- Kyle Roerink, Executive Director, Great Basin Water Network, says even if there was compensation for a short period of time to prop up the system, everybody is going to want to hang onto their water rights. He says in order to free up water on the Colorado River, big checks will need to be written. - Friday, July 22, 2022.
"We don’t need Washington-style dysfunction here."
- Edwin Lyngar, (D) Candidate, Washoe County Commission District 5, states we need to find common ground at the local level, noting previously that partisanship in the County Commission is poisonous. He says instances like incumbent Jeanne Herman’s voter bill and Joey Gilbert’s GOP gubernatorial primary race recount are tearing at the fabric of democracy. - Thursday, July 21, 2022.
"The world was surprised at Russia’s military weakness, and it hurt their stature badly."
- Jill Derby, Former Democratic State Party Chair, says Russia is a pariah in the world that can’t do what it sets out to accomplish militarily. She explains Biden should get more foreign policy credit for unifying the West and bringing Europe together to confront Russia’s aggression in Ukraine. - Wednesday, July 20, 2022.
"This is going to be the urban core."
- Perry Di Loreto, President, The Di Loreto Companies, says that Downtown Damonte will be the center of attraction for all the people that live not only in Damonte Ranch, but also immediately to the north and south, which he says is about 13,000 residences within a two-mile radius. He explains Downtown Damonte is going to be the final touches of Damonte Ranch, consisting of housing and commercial development, which will include the technology campus, restaurants and entertainment. - Tuesday, July 19, 2022.
"We want to draw new businesses in, but in order to do that, we have to have the infrastructure."
- Michelle Hammond Allen, Director, Humboldt County Economic Development Authority, says the area needs housing, roads and utilities in order to do so. She explains the focus of economic development in the rural areas is community capacity building and community engagement. - Friday, July 15, 2022.
"Any salmon that you eat in the western part of the United States is most likely going to come from Pershing County, Nevada."
- Heidi Lusby, Director, Nevada 95-80 Regional Development Authority, says an exciting new development is the West Coast Salmon Nevada facility, which will be the largest land-based salmon farm in the world. She says they will both grow and process the salmon at the site. - Thursday, July 14, 2022.
"We need to get serious about our energy policy in this country and open up that domestic production."
- Paul Enos, CEO Nevada Trucking Association, says energy prices are rising from a shortage of energy supply. He explains that the administration is trying to decrease the demand by trying to slow the economy — which could knock the country into a recession — instead of increasing the supply of domestic energy. - Wednesday, July 13, 2022.
"Buying a car right now is the best investment that you can make."
- Andrew MacKay, Executive Director, Nevada Franchised Auto Dealers Association, says considering how the stock market is doing, cars are the only thing that has a guarantee someone would get a return on right now, other than bonds. - Tuesday, July 12, 2022.