Quote of the DayDisplaying: 17 to 32 of 1417 "We’re going to have to raise taxes on everybody so we can have a good quality of life. "
- State Senator Tick Segerblom who thinks that Reno has a good quality of life subsidized by Southern Nevada.Thursday, April 18, 2013.
"I don’t think he needed to be quite so dramatic about it. "
- Former State Senator, Helen Foley, agreeing with the need for more revenue to help Southern Nevada’s infrastructure needs and while agreeing with State Senator Segerblom on the need, not necessarily agreeing with his rhetoric.Wednesday, April 17, 2013.
"It’s an absolute job killer and so I thought that one of the most important things I could do while I was up here was find a way to deal with that and attack that and blow up that tax. It’s going to be an absolute nightmare for Nevada."
- State Senator Mark Hutchison, who strongly opposes the Teacher’s Unions Margins Tax and became one of the Republican State Senators who proposed the Mining Tax as a way to give voters an alternative on the ballot. Tuesday, April 16, 2013.
"Some of it is going to take revenue that I believe that we haven’t necessarily collected, that’s probably available."
- Marilyn Kirkpatrick, Speaker of the Nevada Assembly, when asked if she can balance the budget without raising taxes from new sources, pointed to things like the live entertainment tax that has left lots of exemptions like Burning Man and the Electric Daisy Carnival.Thursday, April 11, 2013.
"If you want us to spend more, you’re gonna have to look equally at ways that we can save more."
- Pat Hickey, Assembly Republican Leader, describing the end game of the Legislative process and how some leverage can be exerted, even from a minority point of view. Wednesday, April 10, 2013.
"It doesn’t seem that there is a big outcry about this. "
- State Senator Debbie Smith, who says that she is not hearing from very many construction companies or workers on the current prevailing wage laws that some say greatly drive up the cost of government construction. Tuesday, April 09, 2013.
"They all agree that at least these background checks are important. "
- Senate Majority Leader Mo Denis, addressing what the Nevada Legislature might be able to do regarding some form of gun control. Monday, April 08, 2013.
"It’s a 2 ½ billion dollar bar with great hotel rooms."
- Anthony Marnell lll President, M Resort Spa Casino, referring to the Cosmopolitan Hotel Casino which he feels is not a gamers property but more like a Generation X or Generation Y, cool swanky hotel San Francisco, Manhattan hotel. And that will make its valuation difficult for someone trying to buy the property.Thursday, April 04, 2013.
"I don’t think that a lot of them really understand it. Yes, there is a lot of areas that we don’t know."
- Mylan Hawkins, Executive Director, Nevada Diabetes Association, talking about the Obamacare Heath Care Exchanges and the fear that businesses have of them. But Ms. Hawkins feels there will be modifications made that will make the Affordable Health Care Act work for businesses.Wednesday, April 03, 2013.
"So it’s a good start but we have a long way to go."
- Tim Dyhr, VP, NV Copper, delighted that the company has received 200 million dollars in private funding to continue on with their Pumpkin Hollow Mine Project in Lyon County. This project will end up creating 600 high paying jobs in Lyon County.Tuesday, April 02, 2013.
"In six square miles there’s about 10 billion dollars of investment committed and I don’t think there’s any place on earth that has that. So I think the lights of Vegas are twinkling strongly again."
- Billy Vassiliadis CEO, R & R Partners, making the point that within a 10 day period you had MGM announce they are building an arena, the LVCVA is building a World Trade Center for a 2 ½ billion dollar expansion, in addition to Genting’s announcement that they would build a 2 to 7 billion dollar property on the site of Echelon.Monday, April 01, 2013.
"Frankly, it’s unconstitutional."
- Pat Mulroy, General Manager, SNWA, regarding Senator Roberson’s legislation that would make the Southern Nevada Water Authority report to the Public Utilities Commission because it would cause major problems with the utilities current bonding structure.Thursday, March 28, 2013.
"It really boils down to the fact that everybody knows that she is busting her fanny. "
- Jane Ann Morrison, Columnist Las Vegas Review Journal, who says that Assembly Speaker Marilyn Kirkpatrick is admired across the aisle because she is a workhorse not a show horse. Wednesday, March 27, 2013.
"Marijuana did no harm. You cannot die from marijuana. It’s the safest over the counter, prescription or recreational drug in history. There’s no lethal dose. Period! "
- Dr. Steven Frye, MD Psychiatrist, who is advocating for Assemblyman Joe Hogan’s bill to legalize recreational marijuana. Tuesday, March 26, 2013.
"I think this is where his real political soul is, as a moderate rather than a far right wing conservative. "
- Ray Hagar, Political Writer for the Reno Gazette Journal, discussing folks who question US Senator Dean Heller’s new found political positions. Monday, March 25, 2013.
"That’s a property that will now go back on the tax rolls. That construction of 2 to 7 billion dollars will create thousands of construction jobs. It’s going to completely revitalize the north end of the Strip."
- Virginia Valentine, President, Nevada Resort Association referring to Genting’s purchase of the Echelon property from Boyd that will be the first new property on the strip since the Cosmopolitan opening Dec 15th 2010.Thursday, March 21, 2013.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page||Last Page|