Quote of the DayDisplaying: 17 to 32 of 1572 "Just the discussion of the margins tax has got businesses that were thinking of moving here saying, you know what, we’re gonna wait. We’re going to see how this unfolds before we come here."
- State Senator James Settlemeyer who says that Nevada is facing a similar problem to California where a discussion of a carbon tax on cattle, is causing ranchers to contemplate moving out of state.Thursday, March 20, 2014.
"He’s got a lot of money. Anybody that’s interested in being Governor thinks, well I’ll take a pass and wait till next term. I think that’s the simple explanation. "
- Chris Wicker, Spokesman for the Washoe Dems on why the Democrats don’t have serious challenger for Governor Sandoval. Wednesday, March 19, 2014.
"And nobody sued. "
- Mary Lau, President of the Retail Association of Nevada, who says that’s the reason that the split role property tax has remained constitutional. No one wants to be the one who would raise taxes on homeowners from a 3% cap to the 8% cap which is imposed on businesses.Tuesday, March 18, 2014.
"That falls on the Legislature and it also falls on the Governor. Not showing the leadership to finally address these problems. "
- Assemblyman David Bobzien who says that everyone always says the state needs more funding, yet the Governor and the Legislature always fail to come up with a funding package that can overcome the 2/3rds majority vote on taxes.Monday, March 17, 2014.
"What are regulations on a four year old? What kind of standards are you going to put on a four year old? And what if he doesn’t meet those standards, are you going to kick him out of kindergarten? "
- Randi Thompson, Political Analyst discussing proposed standards for Pre-K in Nevada. Thursday, March 13, 2014.
"It would make us approximately 4th highest in business taxes, in the United States. And that’s going from one of the lowest. "
- Carole Vilardo, President Nevada Taxpayers Association who says both in state and out of state experts agree the 2% Margins Tax would realize a 15% tax on business, if it passes this November. Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
"I’ve challenged everybody that will get in my way over this, is tell me how many of these shootings have occurred that did not involve mentally ill people or people with mental problems. They can’t name a single one."
- Washoe County DA Dick Gammick who says that the cause of school shootings involve more than just violent video games. Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
"The public likes me to be a jerk, it turns out. When I ran nice innocuous ads, that were just educational, they didn’t really work as well. But now that I have these really crass and annoying and offensive ads they’re very effective."
- Family Law Attorney, Marilyn York, who mainly represents men. In her current TV ads she has no problem being very direct (and amusing) about the negative circumstances (for men) surrounding divorce. Monday, March 10, 2014.
"When you have the cameras that show you all sides of the car, you can just see we’re not that far from the car being able to control itself. "
- Justin Finley, Finley Automotive Group, describing how close we are to having the driverless car. Thursday, March 06, 2014.
"We had Jim Murren from MGM and Sheldon Adelson from Las Vegas Sands among others talking about the prospects for gaming expansion in the country (Japan). "
- Bill Lerner, Principal Union Gaming Group, explaining why most major gaming companies saw a bump in their stock price as Japan looks to legalize casino gaming prior to the 2020 Olympics. Wednesday, March 05, 2014.
"It could come back to bite them there. "
- Mark Peplowski, Professor of Political Science CSN who says the NV Supreme Court decision on term limits could have ramifications for someone who is a term limited Assemblyman trying to run for State Senate. As Professor Peplowski contends, they are the same body and therefore the Assemblyman would be ineligible to run. Tuesday, March 04, 2014.
"I know of some people who were burglarized on the West Side of town. It took nine hours, nine hours, for Metro to be able to respond. "
- Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman, who says she was appalled that Las Vegas Metro Police Department is no longer sending officers to non-injury car accidents. Metro says it needs the manpower elsewhere. Mayor Goodman says this is the tip of the iceberg. The Clark County Commission rejected a sales tax increase to fund MoreCops. Monday, March 03, 2014.
"In high school they’d say, oh its Keynesian economics. That’s why we borrow and don’t pay it back. "
- Bob Beers a declared candidate for US Senate, running against Harry Reid says that what Keynes actually said was that it’s ok to borrow and spend in a recession but when you turn to page two it says when you’re done, you pay it back. Thursday, February 27, 2014.
"I happen to think it could become the next big industry in America, high speed rail. "
- Sig Rogich, President Rogich Communications, who says the ExpressWest high speed rail from Las Vegas to Southern California is far from dead. Wednesday, February 26, 2014.
"There are probably at least 10% across the country and specifically here in Nevada, according to statistics, that don’t have a photo ID. "
- Tod Story, Executive Director ACLU, who says that we would be imposing on this population, who don’t have a passport or a driver’s license, the need for a photo ID, to enable them to vote. In Nevada, this number would be close to 300,000 people without photo ID.Tuesday, February 25, 2014.
"It all adds up to the same thing, a massive taking of people’s property rights. Which means freedom and liberty and it means a sharing of everything internationally which doesn’t do a thing for the United States it just brings it down to the level of Zimbabwe."
- C.J. Hadley, Editor and Publisher Range Magazine who describes the water policies of Sally Jewell and the Interior Department. Monday, February 24, 2014.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page||Last Page|