Quote of the DayDisplaying: 1 to 16 of 1417 "I don’t see any big taxes getting approved. I think this is a kind of session where you pay the bills, balance the budget and you get out of Dodge. "
- Ray Hagar, RGJ Political reporter, who says it seems like an alternative universe at the Legislature at this date. Thursday, May 16, 2013.
"Chuck Muth will probably hammer me over the head for this. I just truly believe in everyone paying their share. "
- Republican Assemblywoman Michele Fiore, who says she would support taxing Burning Man and Electric Daisy (Carnival) without a doubt. Basically, any venue that attracts over 7500 people. Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
"You draw the line when people’s safety comes into question. "
- Assembly Majority Leader William Horne, discussing the expulsion of Steven Brooks and how some people had suggested that the Assembly was expelling someone who was mentally ill. Tuesday, May 14, 2013.
"I think that that would be the right way to go, to fund these programs so these children and parents that need help, get assistance with their children. "
- Assemblywoman Marilyn Dondero-Loop, discussing the fact that 5 million dollars of funding would wipeout the waiting list for early intervention for children with Autism. Monday, May 13, 2013.
"That is such baloney. "
- NSHE, Chancellor Dan Klaich, who says that there is no gag order in place for University and College Presidents to not comment on the new funding formula. He says the Board of Regents made their decision and as officers of the board, the Presidents have to support that decision. Thursday, May 09, 2013.
"People are apoplectic already over Apple. So I don’t know how you do it. "
- Stacy Woodbury, Appearances LLC, who says that she doesn’t see how the Legislature can give more tax incentives to the movie industry because she doesn’t see the return on investment, despite Nicholas Cage’s personal pleas to that body. Wednesday, May 08, 2013.
"Hasn’t changed. Trust me on that. "
- Carole Vilardo, President Nevada Taxpayers Association, who says she continues to have no regard for the Teachers Margins Tax. Tuesday, May 07, 2013.
"Let’s do study groups on how to get the railroad to come to Nevada and do some business in Nevada. The railroad is jumping over us and a lot of industry that’s coming here needs the railroad. "
- Lance Gilman, Partner- Broker, Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, who says that Union Pacific won’t even talk to TRI. He complains that the Legislature has study groups to raise revenue but not to cut expenses and that’s what’s needed for business to survive the next two years.Monday, May 06, 2013.
"From an immediate implementation standpoint I think there are significant issues and from a long term fiscal standpoint I think that there is significant risk. How we mitigate that risk and protect ourselves is something that I worry about on a daily basis as we go through these budgets."
- State Senator Ben Kieckhefer, who is concerned that people will not sign up for Obamacare in the numbers the government is anticipating and that in the long term the Congress will not be able to continue funding Obamacare at 90% to 100%. Thursday, May 02, 2013.
"PERS has an unfunded liability of about 11.2 billion dollars. That’s with a B. And just ten years ago it was 3.2 billion dollars. "
- Assemblyman Randy Kirner, who is concerned that the PERS liability has grown by 800 million dollars per year, for the past decade. And he knows that that is unsustainable. Wednesday, May 01, 2013.
"She says yes, you need to retire, it’s time…but I hope you’re not going to stay home all day and bug the devil out of me. "
- Dick Gammick, Washoe County District Attorney, quoting his wife Norma, on his announcement that he would not stand for re-election in 2014. Tuesday, April 30, 2013.
"The sad thing is without treatment 90% will need some level of support the rest of their life. "
- Jan Crandy, NV Commission on Autism Spectrum Disorders, who says that the cost of supporting a low functioning person with autism, for life will cost 6 million dollars per person. Ms. Crandy is asking the Legislature to fully fund early intervention for autistic children, at a cost of 5 million dollars, over the next biennium.Monday, April 29, 2013.
"We did it early. This is not a last week. This is not something that happened at the end of the session to try to obfuscate or confuse people. "
- State Senator Joe Hardy referring to the Republican Senators proposal to double the tax mining pays. Thursday, April 25, 2013.
"It’s not a good tax because it will effect economic growth in this state more negatively than this tax will. "
- President Emeritus John Gwaltney speaking in support of the proposed mining tax versus the teachers margins tax.Wednesday, April 24, 2013.
"We would also like to, as part of our plan, actually invest our own shareholder dollars in renewable energy, really for the first time. Which I think is groundbreaking. "
- Tony Sanchez, SR VP NV Energy, who says because of this investment a lot of folks in the renewable energy and environmental community are very excited about this. Tuesday, April 23, 2013.
"I’m not a hunter, I don’t fish and I don’t camp. I’m not an environmentalist. I don’t go outside. "
- State Senator Aaron Ford, who says his lack of knowledge demanded that he hear all sides of the issues that have come up in the Natural Resources committee of which he is the chair. Monday, April 22, 2013.
|Next Page||Last Page|